Ginger Cinnamon Bliss Balls for Christmas
Serves: 5 (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Although the origins of these delicious snacks are unclear, it’s pretty easy to understand where bliss balls get their name. One bite into these chewy, delicious, and nutritious snack, and it’s nearly impossible not to reach for the next piece.
Bliss balls are a great treat for any time of the year, but this particular recipe makes use of ginger and cinnamon to make these treats taste and smell like Christmas. Aside from being wonderful Christmas classics, these two main ingredients also do a world of good for our health and wellness. For instance, ginger has long been valued for its wide array of health benefits. Food journalist Joanna Blythman claims that these include aiding digestion, relieving nausea, reducing pain and inflammation, and boosting heart health. Meanwhile, Foxy Bingo shares that cinnamon also helps protect the health of your heart by reducing risks of high blood pressure and cholesterol. It also has proteins that can protect brain cells from deteriorating, making it a highly effective and valuable superfood.
Image Credit: Pexels
On top of smelling and tasting like Christmas, these Ginger Cinnamon Bliss Balls are also dressed well for the holidays. The combination of berries, coconut, and pistachios gives this recipe the distinctive green, red, and white colours of Christmas.
A healthy snack for all
The great thing about bliss balls is that they’re deliciously sweet even without added sugar or artificial sweeteners. The main factors that give this recipe its sweetness are dates and honey. According to a study published on the Journal of Critical Reviews on Food Science and Nutrition, dates are low in fat and protein but rich in sugars that make it a healthy source of energy. They also contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as dietary fibre. For best results, use natural and fresh medjool dates in order to get the perfect, sticky mixture you need for your bliss balls. Honey has been hailed by Medical Daily as liquid gold because of its wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that aid everything from memory and allergies to sleep and energy.
Other main ingredients that give this delicious snack a healthful boost are pistachios and cashews, which are rich in protein and heart-protective fats. The shredded coconut help add more protein, fibre, iron, and zinc to these delicious and healthy treats.
Image Credit: Pexels
On top of these health benefits and Christmassy tweaks, perhaps the best part of everything is that bliss balls are super easy to make. Here’s our Ginger Cinnamon Bliss Balls Recipe for your table this Christmas.
• 1 cup or 340 g of gluten-free oats
• ½ cup or 170 g of raw cashews
• 1½ cup or 510 g grams of fresh medjool dates, pitted
• ½ tbsp. of grated ginger
• ½ tbsp. of cinnamon
• 3 tbsp. of cacao powder
• 1 tbsp. of honey
• ½ cup or 170 g of dried red berries or goji berries
• ½ cup or 170 g of shredded coconut
• ½ cup or 170 g of raw pistachio nuts, finely chopped
1. Blend the oats and cashews in a food processor for about a minute.
2. Add the dates, ginger, cinnamon, cocoa, and honey into the mixture and blend.
3. Once the mixture has formed into a big ball and feels easier to shape, chop the dried berries and mix them slowly and thoroughly into your mixture. Do not blend them.
4. With your hands, shape the final mixture into around 20 balls. Coat half of them with shredded coconut and the other half with pistachios, and they are ready to go.
Did you like this recipe, or do you have any of your own tips to share? Feel free to leave us a comment!