Grilled Baby Veggies with Arugula-Mint Pesto Sauce
An arugula, mint, and lime marinade adds bright flavor to this array of colorful baby veggies. Serve them with the remaining sauce for dipping, and they’ll be gone in a flash.
- 1cup lightly packed arugula
- 1/2cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons pine nuts, toasted*
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 12baby carrots with tops, trimmed
- 6small red shallots, peeled
- 6miniature sweet peppers, halved and seeded
- 2cups cremini mushrooms
- 6baby zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 10 – 12miniature pattypan squash
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12baby heirloom tomatoes
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- For sauce, in a blender or food processor combine arugula, the 1/2 cup mint, the oil, pine nuts, lime juice, and garlic. Cover; blend or process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Add cheese. Cover and blend or process just until combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Halve any large carrots lengthwise. Cook carrots in a small amount of boiling water about 5 minutes or just until tender; drain well. Place carrots, shallots, sweet peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and pattypan squash in a resealable bag set in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sauce to bag. Seal bag; turn to distribute sauce evenly over vegetables.
- Lightly coat an unheated grill wok with cooking spray. For a charcoal or gas grill, preheat the grill wok on the rack of a covered grill for 1 minute. Add the vegetable mixture to wok. Cover and grill vegetables in wok about 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir tomatoes into vegetable mixture.
- Place remaining sauce in a small serving bowl. Arrange vegetables on a platter; serve with sauce. If desired, sprinkle vegetables with additional mint leaves.